Friday, February 3, 2012

Punxsutawney Gordo


Yesterday was Groundhog Day. A lot of us can relate to the movie … Groundhog Day … Staring Bill Murray. If you haven’t seen it,  you should. 
It’s basically about a guy who goes to sleep each night and every morning the day before repeats itself. It just happens to be Groundhog Day.


My life with Gordo is much like that MOVIE.
This is how we roll …


6:30am  -  I (CB) enter his room … You Up?
Gordo : Yep
CB: Did you sleep well?
Gordo: Like a log
CB: Great … “ Let’s get this party started !”
I proceed to run around his room … turn on 3 lights … so he’ll be able to read his paper.
Fill his water jug with fresh water and ice
Put his cell phone by his chair
Turn off his oxygen, as he only uses it at night
Switch his catheter bags 
Go get his paper from the front yard
All this …while he’s telling me some story that he dreamt or one that just popped into his head.
I’m listening and responding - I’ve become a great multi-tasker. 
OK … now … he’s ready to get out of bed.
Hand him his cane, make sure he gets his "sea legs"  and he walks over to his chair.
I slide the ottoman under his legs and cover them with a blanket. 
Fetch his hearing aids.
Yap at him to drink water
Then finally … I hand him his paper.
Ask him … Are we good?
He nods his head and gives me a thumbs up
I then ... exit his room
Almost 7:00am
Now it is “ME” time!
Until 8:00am
That’s when do dentures and get ready for breakfast … a story for another day folks. 
See … it’s just like the Groundhog Day movie. Complete with my very own … Punxsutawney “Gordo ! ”

No comments:

Post a Comment