Friday, October 26, 2012

"in flagrante"

This morning ... Gordo's cinematic pleasure is "Humoresque". It is a 1946 film starring Joan Crawford and John Garfield.
Dad tells me that John Garfield was a famous actor of the 40's, but was caught "in flagrante". I asked ... What is that? He answers ... "It's a Latin term for someone who dies while having sex." I just giggled and said ... Not a bad way to go". He just nods and agrees ... then tells me to turn up the volume.
Well ... you know ... I had to check this out for myself.
While I was Googling away ... I found out a few interesting things.... John Garfield co- stared with Lana Turner in "The Postman Always Rings Twice". Her character's name was ... CORA. LOL
It also seems as though Mr. Garfield was in serious trouble with congress. He was facing charges of perjury for "UnAmerican Activities" and refusing to name communist party members or followers of certain organizations that he was suspected of being involved with.
He was married, but separated ... due to all the stress of this scandal. So one night he slept with a famous actress named Iris Whitney. They found him dead the next morning in her bed.
"in flagrante" is indeed a Latin phrase ... It really means being discovered doing something that one should not be doing. However ... it is typically said in reference to be caught in the act of having sex.
So now ... you know the rest of the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment