Monday, October 22, 2012

Crazy Little Thing Called ... Love!


This morning as Gordo and I repeated the same ritual ... that we do EVERYDAY ... I had to giggle ... thinking about how my poor sister Liz has to follow our silly routine when she comes over to help take care of Dad. She's been an awfully good sport. Most would probably like to place Gordo and me in a mental institution, but she follows suit in order to keep the comfortable normalcy that dad has grown accustom.
We repeat many things each day, but the one that made me laugh this morning was when it is time to put Dad's false teeth in.
EVERYDAY at approximately 8:30am I announce (in an operatic voice tone) it's " teeth cleaning time" . He looks up at me with his toothless smile, Carly (my dog) trots in behind me .... followed by Beau (my cat). I always tell Carly how smart she is and always knows when it's teeth cleaning time, then Dad says to the cat " Beau! How the hell are ya?" ... like the cat is going to respond.
I proceed and go into his b
athroom, put on my gloves and clean both teeth plates (yes ... I know ... gross, but I'm used to it now), squeeze the "Poligrip" paste on them and take the bottom plate to him first. I ALWAYS say " Bottom's Up, Buttercup" and then I grab the top plates and tell him ... in an English accent " Top of the Morning To Ya". Then I leave his room ... followed by my pet parade and make him breakfast.
Well we have done this same thing for over a year and a half ... and Liz learned very quickly that in order to keep things in order ... she had to do the same thing.
Well ... she's never once complained and is a stellar understudy for me.
Love you Liz and all the wild things you do to help me keep our Daddy as happy as possible. 
Crazy Little Thing Called ... Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment