Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Put a smile on my face

Most of you know that we lost our beautiful dog Carly this week.
Gordo loved her too and knew she was old and sick. I explained to him that I would most likely have to make that tough decision … and put her to sleep. However my sweet pup did not put me in that position and passed quietly in the car on the way to the vet.
I went into Dad’s room afterwards to explain that Carly was gone. He assumed I had to …”make that decision”.
In fact … he had his pen and paper out … as he had done the math on dogs vs. human years. 
He had tears in his eyes but said … “Pooker Annie she was 98” and just so you know … when I’m 98 … it’s OK if you do the same with me.”  
“Oh Dad … that’s not an option for humans … but if it were … I’d never do it!  Plus … you may feel differently when you are 98.”
He thought about it and said … “Well that’s true”.
Gosh! He always manages to put a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment